Tuesday 8 May 2007

Life of Pictures

Daisy Turnip writes.....

Every now and then I get out my box of old photos, photo albums or sit for a couple of hours going through the thousands of digital images we now stored on pc (also copied onto the external hard drive plus numerous back ups on CD – just to be safe!!). Looking through photos most definitely comes with chuckles and a range of ‘oooh’s’ and ‘aaahhh’s’ and ‘oh, remember that?’ It gives me that warm glow inside regenerating the thoughts, feelings and memories of years gone by, triggered by just one single image. I love and cherish these photos.

For the last few years Hubby and I have asked Daughter if she’d like a camera, but she preferred to have an i-pod, driving lessons, a million pairs of jeans etc! She’s forever out with friends and apart from the ok’ish images she can take with her mobile phone (which then get deleted as her memory card fills up) she has no photos. She doesn’t ‘get’ that in years to come she’ll take great pleasure in looking back at photos of her and friends making ‘floor angels’ in the snow, sunbathing and chilling at the village lake, having a BBQ down the park, cycling down the back lanes and just generally being ‘out’ having fun.

I have a lifetime of photos – taken with a range of cheap disposables, Boots home brand, a Jessops special through to our now quite old, but still pretty impressive Canon PowerShot. I’m no brilliant photographer, but I’m keen to picture and capture the moments of my life and I’m concerned Daughter will not be able to later enjoy such treasures.

At the weekend, Hubby and I were in Sainburys and we both got magnetically dragged to a display counter, on which stood a PINK digital camera that was on special offer. We looked and laughed and Hubby said, ‘Oh, go on then’. We picked up the box and took it to the counter to pay, the shop assistant said, ‘Are you ok with a silver one?’ ‘No’ we both replied in unison! She went off into the ‘back’ to find a pink one and came back with a smile on her face. The other shop assistant, who was about the same age as daughter, was by now dribbling over the box and said, ‘I love this camera’. That made our day as we knew we’d made the right choice.

Daughter came back from work later on that day to find the camera on her bed, she came out of the bedroom with a big cheesey grin on her face and said, ‘oh great, thanks Mom, I can now get some pics onto myspace

No comments: