Saturday 19 May 2007

'Jumper' on the Line

Daisy Turnip writes.....

On Wednesday, I had a meeting in London. It was a fairly early start and we finished about 4.30. The team went for a quick drink and then we all set off for our journeys home just before 5.30pm. I was dreading the journey back and just wished I could click my fingers and I’d be back home, sitting on the sofa, watching some rubbish on the TV. Instead, I set off in search of the train station, humping with me my 40ltr rucksack with 'comfort blanket' laptop etc etc.

I reached Victoria station to find it in total chaos, the queues and crowds of people were unbelievable. It turned out that someone had committed suicide by jumping in front of a tube on the Victoria line. I cannot imagine how this person must have felt or what they had experienced that day / week / year to result in the need to end it all in such a very sad and lonely way.

Me being a bit dense about the underground ie I know the route to the office in London and that’s about it., I’d absolutely no idea where to go when an entire section of a line is closed down.

I queued to speak to the underground official who told me the route I needed to take and handed me a map of the underground, ‘just in case’. I set off amongst the hordes to find my way to Marylebone.

Whilst waiting on a crammed platform and feeling pretty scared that if anymore people appeared on the platform, a few more of us will end up on the tracks, a woman to the side of me turned to someone and said, ‘what a miserable, selfish b*****d, fancy doing it in peak commuter time!’ How kind of you I thought. How totally totally selfish of you! I’m sure the family of the dead person would think likewise too.

I can’t help but keep thinking about who the person was and why did s/he end up choosing to end their life in such an awful way?

1 comment:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

That is so sad!
I was watching Parkinson last night, his guests were George Michael, Stephen Fry and Joan Rivers. They were talking about depression, that they had all been through it and had contemplated suicide at one time.
Stephen Fry said that he knew a man who tried to kill himself by throwing himself in front of a lorry. He wasn't killed but had horrendous leg injuries. When asked how he felt about his condition, he said the pain of the injury wasn't anything near the pain inside him.
George Michael wavered between, oh, my life is so great and oh, my life is so dreadful, he didn't really contribute much to the discussion!
Joan Rivers just laughed off her problems, her husband commited suicide, he jumped from a window, but I think that's just the way she deals with things. She finished off on a good quote from Winston Churchill, "life is hell, walk faster!", but I think it ws actually "If you're going through hell, keep going!".
A good sentiment to end with!