Saturday 19 May 2007

Childhood Memories, Bag of Conkers and Blackpool Conference

Daisy Turnip writes.....

Yesterday evening, whilst Hubby and I were driving home, we spotted this amazing tree. ‘Wow’ I said, ‘look at that.’ ‘I know, fantastic isn’t it, it’s a horse chestnut tree’ said Hubby.

Immediately, I was transformed back to when I was approximately 8 years old. When I was 8 years old, my Dad went to a conference in Blackpool. He left us all alone for the week. I remember the day Dad was due home. I remember that day as clear as anything. School finished and we were unleashed back into the ‘outside world’. And I ran. I just couldn’t wait to get home to see my Dad. I ran so fast I must have broken some record – possibly, the record for the child running home to see her Dad whom she hadn’t seen for a week fastest runner record! I simply couldn’t wait to get home and see him.

As I came round the corner I could see his car so I knew he was home. I ran faster and as I ran up the path to our house, my Dad was hiding behind a tree and jumped out with a big ‘BOO!’ He had a big bag of conkers with him – he’d spent an hour or so, whilst on a jolly in Blackpool, collecting conkers for me and my big sis. I was seriously chuffed, my Dad was home and with him came a HUGE bag of conkers – what an absolute bonus.


Whenever I think of conkers, I always, without exception, remember breaking the record for running home the fastest on that afternoon when I was 8 years old!

No comments: