Thursday 22 February 2007

Work Life Balance - The Home Based Worker and Day Time TV

Fern and Phillip, Ophera (is that how you spell it?), Cash in the Attic - yes, that's me, as a home based worker, that's what I get to do all day long, just watch day time TV. The thought of ever doing any work never even enters my head. It's an easy life and brings along very easy money!

I know that's what you're thinking, because that's what everyone thinks when I tell them I'm home based! Right? Actually, you're wrong, you are so far from the truth you just wouldn't believe it.

Until January 8 2007, my day started at 5.15am! We got up at such an horrendous time, because my balmy husband has worked for the last 7 year in Working, Surrey and undertook just over a 200 mile round trip each day! He can sometimes bit a little anal, and during the 7 years of doing this journey, he discovered how many miles were between each junction on the motorway and knew, including the various traffic flow speeds, TO THE MINUTE, how long it would take him to get home! Yes, you're right, I did begin to worry when he shared this fact with me.


Hubby recently saw the light and decided he wanted more of a work life balance and therefore got a job MUCH MUCH closer to home. Excellent, I thought when he told me the good news. My immediate response was to ask what time the alarm would go off each morning, once he started his new job, 'yes, that's the best part about it, we don't have to get up until 5.45am!' Hmmm, not quite what I had in mind, but psychologically, it does sound much better if you say, quarter to six, instead of quarter past five. Well, if it doesn't sound it to you, it definitely feels much much better to us. To Mr Average, it still sounds ridiculous, but to us, it sounds like a major improvement. The additional bonus to hubby working 'closer to home' is that we now get to go to bed at a proper adult time - instead of going to bed at 10pm, we are really going wild and now go and 10.30! Fantastic!

So, each morning the alarm goes off, I stagger downstairs to make hubby a cup of tea and now we have the luxury of the later start, David also finds himself with a piece of toast thrust into his hands as he enters the kitchen at 6am each morning. We really know how live life to the full don't we! : )

I digress, this is supposed to be about home based workers. Hubby departs for work and I shuffle into the computer room to start work at 6.15 each morning. For all you office based workers, I bet your alarm still hasn't gone off by then, so please don't tell me, we have it easy.

Anyway, I usually plod away working until either my hubby or daughter come home at around 6pm and then dinner commences! I'll fill you in more in later blogs.

And before any of you ask, why am I loading this onto my blog at 4.10 on a Monday afternoon - I'm on leave today! : )

No comments: