Sunday 25 February 2007

Teenage Ramblings

Daisy Turnip writes.....

Last night, Hubby and I drove teenage Daughter and teenage friend into town as they were going to a friend’s party.

God, I thought teenagers were just supposed to scowl at adults and remain silent, giving the occasional grunt when asked a question by ‘old folk’.

I happened to ask how Daughter’s friend was progressing with her driving lessons! Wow, we could not believe our ears!! Both teenagers simply catapulted into dialogue – at the same time, both speaking over each other yet both telling us, and each other, how their lessons were going. Neither of them were listening to each other, yet they continued to talk at the same time about how their instructors were getting them to drive one handed (is this really true, I honestly cannot remember learning to drive with the instructor telling me to take one hand off the wheel. Hubby later informed me that his instructor held a stick in his hand and would hit his hand if he removed it from the wheel!! Ouch, now that is a little OTT for my liking and I wouldn’t like to think my daughter’s instructor would do that – but I would prefer something ‘in the middle ground’ to say the least). Daughter informed me, “You need to drive with one hand, for things like, if you’re changing CDs and the radio station” – oh god, I want her to revert back to a newborn baby, keeping me awake on the hour, for every hour, throughout the entire night!!

Daughter’s friend apparently keeps crying during lessons, has truly perfected the art of stalling the car and is very indecisive when pulling away from T-junctions. Daughter complained that a TRACTOR overtook her on a country lane and she nearly ended up in the verge!!! A tractor? How the bloody hell can a tractor over take a car??? I was truly speechless at his comment and I thought Hubby was going to crash the car!

Anyway, this dual conversation / talk at session, continued for the 20 minutes it took us to arrive in town.

They got out of the car – Hubby and I just glanced at each other and laughed. Those poor, poor driving instructors, oh how they must earn their money!!

No comments: