Sunday 25 February 2007

Husband, the Birmingham Toll Road and a National conspiracy


My husband turned 40 last month. Over the last year or so he has become more and more like Victor Meldrew!!!

He hates paying for the
toll road (unless of course, he's claiming mileage and expenses on a business trip).

We recently went to
The Lake District for my birthday. We left home on Friday afternoon and from the moment we left, i begged and begged that we took the toll road. I didn't want to risk going on the M6 between Birmingham and Walsall on a Friday afternoon - trust me, it's always a nightmare. So I said I would pay and he therefore agreed that we would go on the toll road. We made fantastic time and got to Cartmel in brilliant timing.

On the way home - oooh, slightly different story. Hubby knew that because I'd paid for the toll road on the way up (and it was my birthday) he really should pay for it on the return journey. The matrix signs were saying, 'M6 busy,
toll road clear'. Hubby then reliably informed me that the matrix signs, saying the toll road is clear, is a total conspiracy between the gov't and the toll road owners. He REFUSED to go on the toll road!! We hit Hilton Main services of the M6 and then proceeded to sit there in traffic! I contemplated writing a note in order to to flash to the other drivers, saying, 'I bet you wish you weren't tight like my husband and that we all took the toll road!'


He's tight, there is no conspiracy. Will his Victor'isms get worse as he gets older?

Help me

No comments: