Sunday 15 April 2007

KFC’s a Killer!!

Daisy Turnip writes.....

At the weekend my daughter works at KFC. To be fair the money is not too bad for a 17 year old, especially as it tops up the allowance we give her on a monthly basis while she is studying at college.

Her hourly rate is higher than a good friend of mine earns, working in a very well known fashion high street chain shop – this fact delights my daughter, yet mortifies my friend who is 38 years old and has 3 kids!! But at least when she comes home at the end of the day, she doesn’t smell of chicken and fat!!

So the pain of being such a fashion victim drives my daughter to work at KFC – she goes through money like water, and knows we are not going to subsidise her weekly purchases of makeup, jewellery, hair extensions, several pairs of shoes, a few tops here and there and goodness knows how many jeans this child buys on a far too regular basis.

Her working is a great motivator for her to study hard. She sometimes complains her course is difficult, it’s not what she thought it was going to be and ‘I’m not sure I want to continue’ she frequently tells me. My standard response is, that’s fine, don’t do it if it’s not what you want to do, but you need to sort out an alternative course or a job with decent prospects. When she moans, I ask her if she wants to work at KFC on a full time basis – naff shifts, incredibly hot kitchens, long days, standing on your feet all day, smelling of fat etc etc. Her standard response is, ‘No thanks, it nearly kills me working there!’ Back to college tomorrow! : )

No comments: