Monday 2 April 2007

Bit of a Twitcher

Daisy Turnip writes.....

I have 10 bird feeders in my garden and spend a small fortune each month feeding the variety of birds that come into our garden. Yesterday, I went to buy my monthly stock of seeds and fat balls and returned home with a bird bath too. Hubby’s eyes looked to the sky and he then shook his head in disbelief. I smiled with glee and myself and favourite nephew assembled the hanging bath and hung it from one of the trees. It looks fab and I’m sure the local birds will soon take the plunge in their shiny new bath.

As you may know I’m currently on secondment and based from home for the duration of the contract. A couple of weeks ago, I had a meeting at home with someone I know well from my substantive post – we’ll call him TW (for all you safety freaks out there, don’t worry, I don’t do home meetings with people I don’t know well). Anyway, we were sitting at the kitchen table having a meeting about progress and actions plans etc and TW kept looking out of the kitchen window. In the end he jumped up and said, ‘I’m really sorry Michelle, but do you have sparrows in your garden?’ ‘Oh, yes, lots of them’ I said. For the next 20 mins we both leant on the work surface staring out of the kitchen window looking into the garden and the various birds that were stuffing their beaks on their feed. TW doesn’t have sparrows in his garden, and ‘only gets’ great spotted woodpeckers etc (I was very green when he shared this with me).

An hour or so later he left with a spare bird feeder and a bag of seeds!

He too is a bit of a twitcher, and like me, only ‘does it’ in the confines of his own garden. Today I am ready to come out of my bird box – I am a mini twitcher!! In fact to celebrate in true style I today became a member of the RSPB!

No comments: