Tuesday 3 February 2009

Snowed in at the Lakes

Daisy Turnip writes.....

Every now and again we hire holiday cottages in the Lake District – just not as often as we’d like to. Such cottages usually have a log fire, are located in remote areas and, without exception, I always say, ‘ooooh, I’d love to be snowed in here’

It was my birthday this weekend and hubby treated me to a long weekend in the Lakes, staying in the fantastic Rose Cottage in the most beautiful Duddon Valley.


Sunday we were out on the mountains, it was a glorious day, beautiful clear skies and it was absolutely freezing. But as hubby frequently tells me, ‘there’s no such thing as bad weather, it’s just down to bad clothing!’ Being married to hubby, I’m never wearing bad clothing whilst out walking! He inspects me and my rucksack before we leave for a day out on the mountains! He’s not anal – well, maybe not, or is it because I’m now reaching his level of weather paranoia!

Late in the afternoon, we got back to the cottage, feeling cheerfully tired and fulfilled from a good old hike around the Duddon Valley. I rang Daughter from the pay phone, only to find her most anxious about the snow that was forecast, asking whether or not we were planning to walk the following day and what we would do about travelling back home.

Great, we’re going to get snowed in – my long term dream was about to be fulfilled! I was soooo chuffed.

And then, common sense head kicked in. We only had a little food and worse than that, even less wine!

We turned on the TV to catch the weather report. Loads of snow was predicted!

Half an hour we were leaving a snowy Duddon Valley – long weekend not quite complete – heading towards to M6, on our way home. I am such a chicken!

1 comment:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Not enough wine is indeed an emergency! I would love a snow day from work, wine or no wine!