Saturday 7 February 2009

The Joy of Cooking – Student Style!

Daisy Turnip writes.....

Daughter went off to uni in September and is now living in halls of residence. Before she left I typed up a whole load of recipes for cheap and easy meals to cook. She’s not used it once! It took me ages to do!!

However, she seems to be managing very well on the cooking front. She can now make a cup of tea and coffee oh, and microwave frozen corn on the cob – it’s all she seems to eat!

She did try her hand at making pasta in a white sauce. The sauce was one of those ready made things in a sachet (shame on her). She poured the pasta into the saucepan – dry and uncooked – and then added the pasta sauce. She couldn’t understand why it wasn’t cooked properly and had to go in the bin!

Gordon, be afraid, be very afraid!

3 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh, poor thing! Macaroni cheese was the only thing I could cook, when I was a student. My Mum taught me to make a roux before I left home. I did live on a lot of salads and pizza though.

Daisy Turnip said...

I've just had a great idea Holler, daughter needs to come and spend time with you and work on some of your fab recipes! : ) x

Anonymous said...

Now I am my mother's daughter; I used to actually cook meals at university, proper food, from scratch! I guess but it was the way to my ex-husbands heart (obviously not forever!) and friends did like to visit! Actually joking aside I don't think I was that odd at the time; have we created a whole generation of kids that can't cook won't cook?
I do fondly remember that Pizzaland used to saturate the student population with pizza's for a £1 so it wasn't all healthy living! We are talking 20 years ago - oh bloody hell we're talking 23/24 yrs ago!! T x