Wednesday 21 January 2009

Public transport and shared desks

Daisy Turnip writes.....

I work for an organisation that seriously tries to promote and encourage the use of public transport to all of the staff. Although we understand and really want to embrace this attitude, some of us are just totally glued to our car seats and would prefer the comfort, warmth and control of our own destiny when it comes to travelling – not to mention the sheer pleasure of not having some nutter sitting next to you whilst you are on a journey.

I share a desk with Pete. Given the fact that he's male, he's not that untidy to be honest, but ultimately, he's a man - I therefore share a desk with a tidy (male definition of the word tidy) 'ish man.

I hate commuting into Birmingham each day.

I got into the office at 7.20 this morning – feeling really grumpy, as I hadn’t filled my travel mug with tea before leaving the house, and therefore hadn’t had sufficient amounts of caffeine, in order for me to face a day in the office. Even leaving home that early in the morning, it still takes me an hour to get into work - it's just far too early not to have copious amounts of caffeine in your system at that hour of the day!

However, as I sat down at the shared desk (feeling pretty damn grumpy and tired) a chuckle did occur. Stapled to the desk divider was a return train ticket, from Birmingham to Stourbridge, and written on it were the words, ‘I travelled by train and survived it!’

I chuckled pretty loud to be honest!

I then chuckled even louder, knowing that Pete and Dominic had left the office late yesterday afternoon, in order to undertake something like a 12 hour journey which consisted of a variety of car, trains, planes and taxis to get them to some European destination for a full day meeting today (which they both desperately didn’t want to go to) and then do the same journey back tonight – they are both in the office tomorrow!

Serves him right – he should leave the shared desk tidy each night before he goes home! : )

No comments: