Wednesday 11 July 2007

Welcome to the World of Work

Daisy Turnip writes.....

Daughter has broken up from college for the summer. During the summer break she will be working most days but requires a lift to get there as there is no public transport available. She therefore needs a lift from Mother! If I’m home on that day it’s no problem as I can take her as it’s only a 10 minute trip up the motorway. However, bit of a problem - I’m not home based most days. This therefore gives her a dilemma of how can she get to work. Coming home is no problem as Hubby or I are usually available most evenings.

I suggested she offers to pay someone £5 to take her to work, as and when required. She moaned at this. Yes, of course silly me, she’s never had to pay parents to shuttle her round in her hectic social, college, social or working life style. I suggested I gave up work so that I’m at her beck and call! She liked that idea, and then I said, ‘oh, if I’m not working, I don’t need a car’ – bit of a catch 22 situation.

Daughter has therefore done a deal with someone in the village to take her to work on an ad hoc basis.

She has a 3 hour shift one day next week and I’m not here to drop her off at work. She’s therefore got to pay someone virtually a third of the wages she’s going to earn that day. She’s gutted!

Welcome to our world!

No comments: