Tuesday 3 July 2007

To the dedicated Traffic Wardens of Tameside

Daisy Turnip writes.....

To the dedicated Traffic Wardens of Tameside

Yesterday I had to go to Manchester for a meeting. I set off in plenty of time and tootled up the M40, M42 and M6. At the end of the M6 part of the journey I hit traffic. Very heavy traffic. I sat and watched as my satnav system kept updating me on the fact that I was going to be late for my meeting. And then the heavens opened and it didn’t stop.

By the time I got to my meeting destination it was torrential rain fall. I pulled onto the car park and drove to the pay and display machine to get my ticket. In the minute it took me to put my money into the machine I was drenched – seriously, my hair that was perfectly washed and groomed that morning, now looked as if I’d just got out of the shower! And then all the money came out the bottom of the machine and therefore wouldn’t let me purchase a ticket.

As the rain was still hammering down, I jumped into the car and drove to the other end of the car park and tried the other pay and display machine – the same thing happened.

A huge clap of thunder burst above my head. It made myself and another woman who was waiting at the machine jump so much. It was really very scary. She then informed me the other machine wasn’t working too.

I therefore gave up, scribbled a note and left it on my windscreen telling the lovely traffic wardens of Tameside that the machines weren’t working and I couldn’t purchase a ticket. As I scribbled the note I thought to myself that no one in this weather would be mad enough to be looking to issue tickets to poor, unsuspecting car drivers.

I had my meeting and walked back to the car. And there, right above my note to the traffic warden, was a ticket stuck to my windscreen!

Are you immune to torrential rain ‘upt north?!


Happy Monday!

No comments: